TriMet provides bus, light rail and commuter rail transit services in the Portland, Oregon, metro area. We connect people with their community, while easing traffic congestion and reducing air pollution—making the Portland area a better place to live. More
School Field Trips and Groups on TriMet
You can bring a group of up to 40 students and adult chaperones on the bus and up to 80 on MAX Light Rail. (Sorry, we cannot schedule field trips on WES Commuter Rail at this time.)
Scheduling a field trip
- Important: For groups of 15 or more, you can receive the Class Pass discount or you may schedule your trip via email. For groups of this size, we request you schedule trips at least two weeks in advance.
- All members of your group must board and disembark together.
- You can pay with regular TriMet tickets or passes on the day of the trip.
- Travel during off-peak hours (weekdays 9 a.m.–3 p.m. and 6 p.m.).
- For preferred travel times, get your request in early.
If your group has 15 or more people, you can order a Class Pass (pre-payment required) for just $1 per person round trip, including students, teachers and chaperones. The discounted pass is available to school children (fare paying youth between 7 and 17 years of age, or in high school).
To receive the Class Pass discount, you must fill out the TriMet Field Trip Request Form at least two weeks prior to your trip. We'll send you a Class Pass and a customized trip itinerary by mail.
Note: If all students in your group are under 7, you do not need a Class Pass. Children 6 and under ride free, and the teachers and chaperones can pay with regular tickets or passes.
Have a safe trip
Please keep your students in sight and near you at all times. To make your trip a safe and enjoyable experience for all, please share the following riding tips with your students and chaperones:
- Your group is sharing the bus or MAX train with other passengers, so please be quiet and respectful of them.
- While students may cross the street in front of a school bus that is stopped and has flashing red lights, they should never cross in front of a TriMet busunless it is stopped at a traffic light.
- Cross MAX tracks only at designated pedestrian crossings. MAX trains are very quiet, so always listen carefully and look both ways before crossing the tracks.
- Don't run at the MAX station, and stand back from the platform edge as the train approaches.
- Never play on or near train tracks. Remember, trains cannot stop quickly or steer around you!
Need to cancel?
If your plans change, we will gladly reschedule your trip for another day at no charge.
- Please call us at least one day in advance to cancel your trip.
- If you need to reschedule your trip, please notify us at least two weeks in advance, if possible.
- Sorry, we are not able to offer refunds for the Class Pass.
We hope you all have a great time on TriMet! Be sure to remind your students of the rules for riding TriMet.