TriMet provides bus, light rail and commuter rail transit services in the Portland, Oregon, metro area. We connect people with their community, while easing traffic congestion and reducing air pollution—making the Portland area a better place to live. More
Traveling with Kids
Parents: If you're bringing children with you on the bus or train, here are some helpful tips and safety reminders.
- Children under 7 ride free with a paying passenger.
- Reduced fares are available to kids ages 7-17. More
Bringing a stroller
You're welcome to bring a stroller on TriMet. Keep in mind there may not always be room on board.
- We recommend using a folding "umbrella" style stroller. Large and double-wide strollers are not practical for use on TriMet.
- When boarding the bus, you can ask the operator to deploy the lift or ramp if you need it.
- For your safety, strollers must be folded on a bus or high-floor MAX train (with stairs at the door), and must not block the aisle or doorway.
- Always yield the priority seating area to seniors and people with disabilities.
For your safety
Both parents and kids should keep safety in mind around buses and trains.
- Keep your kids close to make sure you don't get separated.
- Never cross the street in front of a TriMet bus, unless it's stopped at a traffic light, and be sure to look both ways when walking past the front of the bus to cross another lane of traffic.
- Be sure to cross train tracks only at designated pedestrian crossings. MAX, WES and streetcars are actually very quiet, so please remove headphones and listen carefully. Be sure to look both ways before crossing the tracks.
- Hold onto children upon entering and exiting trains.
- Don't run or play at the train station or near train tracks. Stay well behind the white bumpy tiles until the train comes to a complete stop.
- A good safety rule for kids is: If you have to run to catch the train, that's not your train. Be patient... The next one will be arriving shortly.
Rider rules and etiquette
It's never too early to teach good riding habits! When they're old enough, brief your child on the basic rules for riding TriMet.
Take TriMet to family fun
Looking for something fun to do? There are dozens of family-friendly destinations you can discover using buses, MAX Light Rail, WES Commuter Rail and Portland Streetcar. And TriMet's 1-Day Pass is perfect for local adventures.
Traveling with a large group?
If you're bringing a large group on board (15 or more), be sure to contact us to schedule your trip at least two weeks in advance. Your group can also receive a discounted "Class Pass" fare. More