TriMet is hiring bus mechanics
Our bus mechanics are an essential part of the TriMet team. They perform and support a wide variety of repair and maintenance services on our buses, including rebuilding, repairing and maintaining engines, transmissions, differentials and gear components. Mechanics also help us keep the interior and exterior of buses in good shape for our riders and drivers.
Start out making $37.02/hour
At TriMet, it’s one great advantage after another. As a union, non-exempt, full-time employee, you’ll enjoy these benefits:
- low- to no-cost medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance
- health care/dependent care spending accounts
- free transit pass for you and your family
- defined contribution retirement plan with 8% company contribution (no employee contribution required)
- deferred compensation retirement plan
- on-site fitness center for a small fee
- short-term disability
- paid vacation time and sick leave
- paid double time-and-a-half on holidays
- employee assistance program
Our bus mechanics are part of a motivated and positive team that keeps the Portland area moving. With 696 buses in our fleet, the maintenance work you'll perform helps create a better riding experience for everyone on board.
What are the requirements?
A minimum of a high school diploma (GED) or equivalent
A good driving record – see the specifics.
18 months of training in diesel technology and power systems at an accredited school or training program
Two years of experience as a heavy duty diesel mechanic (transit agency and/or trucking fleet experience preferred)
Must have a valid Oregon Driver License. Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid Oregon Class “A” Commercial Driver License (CDL) with passenger (P) endorsement and without air brake restriction, and with a valid DOT medical card