Filming and Photography on TriMet

We will consider requests to film and/or photograph on TriMet property that is open to the public, including buses, MAX Light Rail and WES Commuter Rail. However, some activities require prior notice, a permit and insurance.

Do I need a permit?

Permit required

If you wish to film or photograph on TriMet property or vehicles while engaged in a commercial, educational or non-profit activity, a signed permit and acceptable insurance certificates are required. Submit your permit application at least 14 days prior to your proposed first shoot. A $50 application fee and $200 non-refundable deposit are required. Additional fees may apply.

Online Permit Application
Or, download the PDF application

No permit required

A permit is not required for non-commercial, personal-use filming or photography by the general public that does not interfere with transit operations or safety.


Film/Photo Permit Insurance Requirements PDF

Filming and Photography Guidelines PDF

Price sheet for filming and photography on TriMet PDF

News media

We ask that you provide TriMet’s Communications Team advance notice before filming. Media personnel are allowed to ride for free, but may not interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle or board a vehicle at capacity. You must contact us to arrange an interview with a bus or rail operator.


Contact us

Phone: 503-962-2127

For filming/photography requests on Portland Streetcar please contact Connie LaValley at or 503-222-4200.

Tilikum Crossing