Get help with your transportation costs

Low-Income Honored Citizen Example Card

You may be able to ride TriMet for less. Riders with qualifying incomes are eligible for half-price fares.


Who qualifies

You need to be 18 to 64 years old, an Oregon resident, making less than double the federal poverty level and not already using Honored Citizen fares to qualify.

Over 65 or disabled? Learn about other reduced fare options.

How it works

Simply follow the steps below to apply. We’ll issue you a personalized Hop card that lets you ride buses, MAX, WES, Portland Streetcar and C-TRAN for $1.25 for a single ride, $2.50 for a day pass or $28 for a month pass. That’s 50% to 72% less than Adult fare.


Verify your income

We need to know how much you or your household earns. You have two options for verifying your income:

Option #1

If you’re a member of one of the following programs, you’re automatically eligible:

Eligible programs
  • Oregon Health Plan / Medicaid
  • SNAP Program
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Free & Reduced Price Lunch
  • HUD Housing Choice Voucher
  • LIHEAP (Home Energy Assistance)
  • Employment Related Daycare
  • Women Infants and Children (WIC)

You’ll need to provide documents that verify your participation, such as your benefit summary letter for the qualifying program.

Option #2

If your gross income (before taxes) is below the amount shown in the following table, you’re eligible:

Qualifying gross income (before taxes)
Household Size Max. Gross Monthly Income Max. Gross Annual Income
1 $2,126.67 $27,180
2 $2,873.33 $36,620
3 $3,620 $46,060
4 $4,366.67 $55,500
5 $5,113.33 $64,940
6 $5,860 $74,380
7 $6,606.67 $83,820
8 $7,353.33 $93,260

For families/households with more than 8 persons, add $4,720 for each additional person.

You’ll need to provide a valid document that verifies your income. These are the documents we accept:

Provide one of the following documents
  • Paystubs for the last 30 days (if you get a paycheck)
  • Unemployment pay stub or benefit letter
  • L & I statement (if you receive workers’ compensation)
  • Employment Wage Verification
  • A copy of your most recent tax return (income verification is based on the modified adjusted gross income on your most recent tax return: Form 1040 line 37, Form 1040 A line 21, Form 1040 EZ line 4, or completion of the self-employment worksheet)


Apply online

Have your income documentation and valid identification from the list below ready. You can chose to apply through our online form and upload your documents, or through a WebEx video chat.

Due to COVID-19, in-person enrollment assistance is limited at this time. Current in-person options include:

TriMet Customer Support Center

701 SW 6th Avenue, Portland OR 97204
8:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m. Monday–Friday

Portland State University Transportation Office

By appointment only, Monday–Thursday 10 a.m.–3 p.m. (Starting January 3, hours will change to 9 a.m.–5 p.m.) To schedule an appointment please visit the PSU Transportation’s Appointment, Scheduling page, or email at

For program questions or additional assistance please contact us at

Please have one of the one of the following forms of ID with you when you apply:

Acceptable IDs

  • Drivers license (any state or country)
  • Photo ID card (any state or country)
  • Passport (any state or country)
  • Armed services ID with photo
  • Photo ID card from any foreign consulate
  • Tribal ID
  • US Certificate of Citizenship / Naturalization Certificate (signature and photo)
  • Any form of photo ID issued by the government of any country

If you do not have an Oregon ID, please make sure to provide a document proving Oregon residence such as a recent post marked piece of mail, a utility bill or a rental agreement with your name and current Oregon address.



Pick up your new Hop card

Bring your application receipt from Step 2 to the TriMet Ticket Office at Pioneer Courthouse Square. We’ll take your photo and give you your personalized Honored Citizen Hop card on the spot. You’re ready to ride at a reduced fare!

Load money on your card at the grocery store, over the phone, on our website or using our smartphone app. Then, simply tap your card every time you board a bus or train. There’s a Hop card reader at every MAX/WES station and on board the bus inside the door on your right. You’ll automatically be charged the reduced-fare rate. Learn more about Hop

Riding with Hop?

Tap every time you board — even if you’ve already earned a Day or Month pass.

See how to tap with:
Plastic Hop cardPhonePaper Hop TicketCredit/Debit Card

Your card is good for two years, after which you’ll need to re-apply following the steps above. Replacement cards cost $3.


For more information

If you have questions about your eligibility or if you need more information, please contact us at