Bus Accessibility Features
Features to help you get around on the bus
- Bus stops on the Portland Transit Mall have digital displays that show you when the next bus is expected to arrive. You can also hear an audio announcement of the next arrivals by pushing a button.
- Most of our buses announce their line name and destination over an external speaker system as they pull up to a stop.
- Every bus is equipped with a boarding ramp or power lift. Many of our buses are low-floor buses that can “kneel,” lowering the first step closer to the curb for easier boarding. Ramps, lifts and “kneeling” are available to anyone who has difficulty climbing steps. Just ask the operator.
- There is a priority seating area inside near the front door. These seats are reserved for seniors and people with disabilities.
- There is a securement area on board with room for two mobility devices.
- Major stops and transfer points are announced automatically over the speaker system and displayed on a reader board near the operator. You can always ask the operator to announce when the bus is approaching your stop.
- A sign near the operator lights up when a stop has been requested.
Boarding with a mobility device
If you use a wheelchair or scooter, or have limited mobility, please read our instructions for boarding.
Service animals are welcome
Your service animal is welcome on the bus. No permit is required, but the operator may ask to confirm that your animal is a service animal.
Travel training is available
Ride Connection, a non-profit community service organization, provides individual and group travel training for seniors and people with disabilities through their RideWise program.