High School Access Transit Program
School Year Pass Program

This program will provide approximately $815,000 for fare assistance during the 2022–2023 school year.

Youth Hop card

$1.25 – Ride for 2½ hours

For ages 7–17 and students in high school.
Learn more

TriMet is committed to keeping public transportation affordable and accessible to eligible high school students.

We offer public transportation grants to school districts across Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington Counties.

School district administrators can learn how to apply for fare assistance, below.

Students: If you are between the ages of 15 and 21 and are interested in providing your voice to this and other relevant TriMet programs, please consider applying to our Youth Advisory Subcommittee.


Application and selection process

The application period for the 2023–2024 school year will open in May 2023.


Program requirements

  • Submit an Access Transit: High School Program application to TriMet’s Department of Equity, Inclusion, and Community Affairs.
  • Represent public high schools within the TriMet service district that serve students from Clackamas, Multnomah or Washington county.
  • Possess the administrative capacity to coordinate a high school distribution program that will connect students eligible for free and reduce lunch with fare resources at the high school level.
  • Agree to report to TriMet on the distribution of free ticket resources on a quarterly basis and an annual on-site compliance check for each participating school.
  • Agree to not resell received tickets.


Who can apply?

This program is for school districts within TriMet’s service district. To participate, high schools must be located within TriMet’s service district and possess the administrative capacity to coordinate the distribution of tickets and passes to qualifying students.

Program participants will be asked to complete a short student survey upon being accepted into the program.

TriMet district map with school districts

Frequently asked questions

For questions, please contact program administrators.