Youth Fares

Reduced fares are available to youth ages 7–17 and students in high school (grades 9–12) or pursuing a GED.

Foil-stamped paper tickets and tickets purchased through the TriMet Tickets App are no longer accepted as valid fare.

Hop Fastpass is your new ticket to ride buses, MAX Light Rail and WES Commuter Rail! Learn more

Youth Hop card


For ages 7–17 and students in high school or pursuing a GED. Proof of eligibility required for ages 15-17 and high school/GED. Children 6 and under ride free with paying passenger.

Ride for 2½ hours

Ride free after spending:

in a day

Day Pass

in a calendar month

Month Pass

Your TriMet Youth fare also lets you ride C-TRAN Local/Regional and Portland Streetcar at no additional charge. If you transfer to C-TRAN Express, you’ll be charged the difference in price. See the full list of fares

Riding with Hop?

Tap every time you board — even if you’ve already earned a Day or Month pass.

See how to tap with:
Plastic Hop cardPhonePaper Hop TicketCredit/Debit Card

About Youth fares

  • Valid for unlimited rides on buses, MAX Light Rail, WES Commuter Rail and Portland Streetcar.
  • Valid for travel anywhere TriMet goes.
  • Children 6 and under ride for free with a paying passenger.

Proof of eligibility required

ID required

Students in grades 9–12 (or pursuing a GED) and youth ages 15–17 must show proof of age or student status when boarding a bus or when requested by a fare inspector.

Note: A TriMet-issued ID card is required to prove GED student status. Contact your GED program administrator for more information.

High School Student Pass

The Student Pass program is a partnership between TriMet and a public school district. All enrolled high school students in a participating school district can ride TriMet for free during the school year. Students ride transit at no cost by tapping their student ID Hop card issued by the school.

Note: The Portland Public Schools Student Pass is not valid on C-TRAN.

College students

You may be eligible for a free or discounted transit pass from your college/university. Check with your school's transportation coordinator to see if they provide this student benefit.

More information