Apply for a Reduced-Fare Hop Card Based on Disability
If you have a verifiable mental or physical disability, you qualify to use TriMet’s reduced Honored Citizen fare. However, you must apply for and receive a personalized photo ID Hop card before using the reduced fare.
How to apply
- Print and fill out the Honored Citizen Application Form (PDF). Or, call us at 503-962-2455 and we’ll send you one in the mail.
- In addition to the application form, we require verification of your disability by one of the following:
- A certified/licensed health care provider: Have your provider fill out Page 2 of the application form.
- The Social Security Administration: Please get a Benefit Information Report or Benefit Verification Letter from your Social Security Administration office dated within the last three months, and include it with your completed application form.
- A certified agency: Certified agencies include the Senior and Disabled Services Division, Commission for the Blind, Vocational Rehabilitation Division, a mental health agency, or The Arc of Multnomah or Washington County. The application form requires a verification stamp from the agency, so please contact your agency representative for assistance.
- The US Department of Veterans Affairs: Please get a Certification Letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs dated within the last three months verifying a disability, and include it with your completed application form.
- Other transit agency: Include the name, city and state of the transit agency on your application form.
- Bring the completed application and required verification, along with a government-issued photo ID, to the TriMet Customer Support Center at Pioneer Courthouse Square (701 SW 6th Ave). We’ll take your photo and give you your personalized Hop card.
- You’re good to go: Simply load money on your card, then tap it on the green Hop reader each time you board. How to use and reload your Hop card