Access Transit: Fare Relief Program
To assist in increasing the number of low-income clients served, this program will provide grants of up to $30,000 in TriMet fares for qualified 501(c)(3) nonprofit and Community Based Organizations (CBOs).
Ride Connection will administer the program and will award the grants to qualified organizations. Ride Connection is a nonprofit dedicated to providing responsive, accessible transportation options for those in need.
Fare relief grant applications for fiscal year July 2017-June 2018 are due by 5 p.m. on May 17, 2017. View program information and application instructions below.
Who can apply?
The program provides grants to eligible 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations that purchase TriMet fares, which are disbursed to low-income recipients. To be eligible, organizations must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Organizations must serve low-income clients.
- Organizations must serve a majority of clients whose residence is in the TriMet service district.
- Organizations must use the fares to help low-income clients access services critical to employment, housing and personal stability.
- Organizations must be in good account standing with TriMet.
- Organizations must agree to only distribute fares to its clients.
- Organizations must agree to not supplant existing resources dedicated to fare purchase.
To participate in the program and receive a grant, eligible organizations will be required to enter into an agreement with Ride Connection that includes administrative duties such as verification of fare recipient low-income status; intake, processing and fulfillment of orders to qualifying recipients; and record keeping and management of fare inventory, including reporting of fare disbursements as described in the agreement.
Access Transit: Fare Relief Program applications will be reviewed using the following criteria:
- Organization has nonprofit status or is partnering with a fiscal agent that has a nonprofit status.
- Organization serves low-income populations as described in the grant description.
- Organization has eligibility and documentation process in place to ensure recipients meet the criteria established in the program and organization agrees to review the eligibility of continuing recipients annually.
- Organization demonstrates funds received through the program will not supplant existing resources used for the purchase of fares, but rather will be used to increase the assistance provided.
- Organization demonstrates the ability to track fare usage and compliance with monthly reports to Ride Connection.
Grant awards will vary, but generally will not exceed $25,000. Awards will be determined by criteria established in the application.
Application and Selection Process
Applications for the Access Transit: Fare Relief Program will be accepted on a rolling basis and will be reviewed to determine if the criteria listed are met.
Upon completion of review of an application, TriMet and Ride Connection will issue a letter to the applicant indicating the status of the request. For more information, contact Ride Connection at 503-528-1720 or email Cora Potter.
How to apply
To apply, download and fill out the application form:
Send completed applications to us online or by mail:
Attn: Access Transit: Fare Relief Program
9955 NE Glisan St
Portland, Oregon 97220