TriMet provides bus, light rail and commuter rail transit services in the Portland, Oregon, metro area. We connect people with their community, while easing traffic congestion and reducing air pollution—making the Portland area a better place to live. More
How to Ride MAX
Step-by-step directions for using TriMet's MAX Light Rail
TriMet's MAX (Metropolitan Area Express) Light Rail connects downtown Portland with Beaverton, Clackamas, Gresham, Hillsboro, North/Northeast Portland and the Portland International Airport. Hours of operation vary, but all MAX lines run about every 15 minutes or better most of the day, every day.
- You must have a valid ticket or pass before boarding MAX. Ticket machines and validators are located at the station. Remember to activate your mobile ticket before boarding.
- Signs at the station indicate where to wait and when the next train is due. Signs on the front of each train identify the line (Blue, Green, Red or Yellow) and destination.
- As MAX approaches, stay well behind the white bumpy tiles and wait for the train to come to a complete stop.
- The doors will open automatically and you can board the train. If you're standing, move back so others can board.
- MAX stops at every station, so you don't need to signal the operator to get on or off. The station name is announced before each stop and appears on a reader board overhead.
- Gather all your personal items and exit the train.
For your safety
- Stop and look both ways before crossing the tracks. Always use the designated pedestrian crossings.
- Never walk or ride your bike on the tracks, or ride your bike on the boarding platform.
- Keep your kids close to make sure you don't get separated.
- If you see suspicious behavior or a suspicious package, or if there is an emergency or unsafe situation on board, tell a TriMet employee or call 9-1-1. More