TriMet provides bus, light rail and commuter rail transit services in the Portland, Oregon, metro area. We connect people with their community, while easing traffic congestion and reducing air pollution—making the Portland area a better place to live. More
TriMet's Frequent Service bus lines run every 15 minutes or better most of the day, Monday through Saturday. MAX Light Rail runs about every 15 minutes or better most of the day, every day. Service is less frequent in the early morning and late evening.
The Frequent Service network
Frequent Service lines connect the regional hubs where many riders live and work. In addition to providing more frequency most of the day on weekdays, some lines have a number of features designed to make your trips easier, faster and more comfortable:
- new shelters and sign poles with service information and Stop ID numbers
- ADA-compliant landings and curb ramps
- bus stop re-spacing and curb extensions
- better pedestrian access
- traffic signal priority
- bus-only lanes
Frequent Service fact:
58 percent of all bus trips are on Frequent Service lines.
Before the Great Recession, “Frequent Service” meant that buses and MAX came every 15 minutes or better throughout the day, every day. Starting in 2009, we were forced to temporarily reduce frequency on these and other lines due to budget shortfalls. Today, we are gradually adding more service on these popular routes and, as of March 2015, we have as much service on the street as before the recession began.
- November 2009: Frequency was reduced on some Frequent Service lines and MAX during mid-day, evenings and weekends. Buses only provided 15-minute service during the morning and afternoon rush hours on weekdays.
- March 2014: Weekday mid-day service was increased to every 15 minutes on Frequent Service bus lines.
- August 2014: Weekday evening service was increased to every 15 minutes or better on Frequent Service bus lines and MAX.
- March 2015: Saturday service was increased to every 15 minutes or better most of the day on Frequent Service bus lines.
- What's next: We continue to rebuild the Frequent Service network to offer 15-minute or better service throughout the day, every day. For summer 2015, we will be increasing frequency on weekend MAX service. Increased Sunday service on Frequent Service bus lines will be coming in the fall.