School Field Trips and Groups on TriMet
Taking the bus or MAX is a quick and affordable way for groups to get around town.
How It Works
We welcome groups of up to 40 students, teachers and chaperones aboard buses, and groups of up to 80 on MAX.
Here are the general rules that apply to groups on board:
- Field trips must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance
- All members of your group must board and disembark together
- Groups of 15 or more are eligible for discounted fare via a prepaid Class Pass — otherwise, your group can pay with personal Hop cards or regular TriMet tickets on the day of the trip
- Field trips are scheduled during off-peak hours (weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., or after 6 p.m.) — get your request in early in order to book your preferred travel times!
Ordering Class Passes
Groups of 15 or more (including students, teachers and chaperones) can order a prepaid Class Pass for just $1 per person round trip. The students in your group must be between the ages of 7 and 18, or in high school, to qualify for this discount.
Class Passes must be ordered at least two weeks prior to your trip. If you are traveling in multiple groups, each must have its own Class Pass — you’ll need to fill out an order form for each group. Once we receive your order and payment, we’ll mail you a Hop card pre-loaded with your Class Pass and a customized itinerary.
Can’t submit online? You may also download and print out a copy of the form. Mail completed forms and payment to: TriMet Field Trip Program, 701 SW 6th Ave., Portland, OR 97204.
Note: If all students in your group are under 7 years old, you do not need a Class Pass. Children age 6 and under ride free, and adults can pay using their personal Hop card or regular TriMet tickets.
Using a Class Pass
Every time your group boards the bus or enters the MAX platform, tap your Class Pass Hop card on the Hop reader. (This includes any transfers.) Each tap will validate the fare for your entire group.
Need to cancel?
If your plans change, we will gladly reschedule your trip for another day at no charge.
- Please call us at least one day in advance to cancel your trip
- If you need to reschedule your trip, please notify us at least two weeks in advance
- Class Passes are non-refundable, but the money loaded on your Hop card will still be good when your trip is rescheduled
If you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-962-2424, option 4.
Have a safe trip!
We want your field trip to be safe and fun. Keep these guidelines in mind while you’re riding:
- Public transit is a shared space, so be respectful of other riders on board
- Don’t cross the street in front of the bus, unless it is stopped at a traffic light and it’s safe to use the crosswalk
- Only cross MAX tracks at dedicated crossings — MAX trains are very quiet, so listen carefully and look both ways
- Don’t run at the MAX station, and stand back from the platform edge as the train approaches
- Never play on or near train tracks — remember, trains can’t stop quickly or steer around you!